Canadian  Ultralight Frequently Asked Questions

UPAC does not use membership numbers anywhere on our website. If you wish to participate in the classifieds or store you must create your own account in each section. Don’t try and login to any of the website services with your UPAC membership number because it wont work.

We also don’t recommend you use your UPAC membership number for any logins or passwords in any of our online services.

Lastly, the only place we ask for your UPAC membership number is during the checkout process in our store for items that offer membership discounts (publications, membership renewals) as this assists our administration with locating your information in our database and to verify membership.

Question: I am currently a Canadian rated class four Instructor- Aeroplane. I was thinking of getting closer into the world of ultralights and home builts. Do I need to get the ultralight rating? Can I at this point take passengers? Could I Instruct? I looked into your website to find the answers, I found a few hints, but no solid answers. I wanted to see if you guys knew off the top of your heads.
Answer: There are a few issues that need clarifying and it is confusing. It’s a little clearer when you consider the plane and pilot separately.

First the plane

There are 2 types of C-Ixxx registered ULs – Advanced ULs and Basic ULs.
Basic ULs (BULAs) are not required to meet any standards. Because TC’s responsibility is to protect the general public, and because there are no standards safeguarding the general public, Basic ULs cannot have passengers carried in them â?? regardless of your license. Both seats in a 2-place Basic UL (BULA) can be occupied only when it is an instructor and a student or if both occupants have pilot licenses/permits. It is presumed that an instructor, student or pilot is aware that there are no standards and can knowingly assess the risk.
Advanced ULs (AULAs) meet some design standards and have the support/oversight of a manufacturer â?? like certified but not to international standards. Because of these extra requirements, passengers who know nothing about planes can be carried in them.
There is also an ultralight definition (1200 lb gross with a 45 mph stall of less in the landing configuration). Any plane, regardless of how it is registered, can be considered an ultralight for operational purposes if it meets this definition.

Second the Pilot

Any pilot can fly an ultralight as a privilege of his license or permit. A passenger can never be carried in a Basic UL, even though your pilot license/permit allows it.
An ultralight pilot can fly any C-Ixxx registered ultralight and any plane that meets the UL definition registered in a different category.
A UL pilot with only the UL pilot permit can NEVER carry a passenger even if the plane he is flying allows it. There is now a passenger carrying rating which will allow an UL pilot to carry a passenger after he does more training. (It’s more or less equivalent to the Recreational Pilot Permit.)
Any instructor can train towards the UL pilot permit as a privilege of his instructor rating without supervision. I believe he is required to have a certain number of hours flight time on ultralights first. I don’t know if you need to establish a UL school first â?? that depends on the region and how they interpret the requirements.

Now to answer your questions.

You do not need to get a UL permit to fly a C-Ixxx registered ultralight. If you want to get your UL pilot permit and instructor rating while you still hold your CPL-A and instructor rating, there are lots of credits.
You can carry a passenger in Advanced ULs but never in Basic ULs.
You can instruct towards a UL pilot permit as long as your Class 4 instructor rating is valid.

Answer: NO

Helicopter (rotor-wing) aircraft in Canada require a private helicopter pilot permit and cannot be flown as ultralights regardless of weight or specs. The United States has a provision under FAA FAR103 rules that allows for such but our rules are NOT the same.

Transport Canada requires a category 4 (self-declared) medical standard signed by a physician licensed in Canada.

You can download the form below and print it.

02-0297.pdf (Requires Adobe Reader)

Every school charges different rates for training. These are usually based on geographic locations, types of aircraft being used, instructors and facilities. The costs are 2 parts:

1. Ground school. You can expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $400 depending on materials (books, nav charts, logbooks etc…) and facilities
2. In flight training. Flight training costs vary depending on type of aircraft and instructors. Expect to pay $80 to $120 per hour. If you have your own ultralight, training costs is usually less.

Most ultralight permits can be obtained for less than $3000, the average being $2000

It is rare to find a facility that will rent an ultralight. Your best bet is to contact a training facility and inquire about renting. In most cases ultralight flyers own their aircraft.

Buying an ultralight is the best method to ensure competency and enjoyment. However you must take into account associated costs of owning an ultralight. Hangar fees (if you don’t have a place to store it), maintenance, fuel costs, insurance etc…

Purchasing a used ultralight is a great way to get into this passtime at a reasonable cost. Expect to pay $3000 and more. Most larger used ultralights are closer to $8000 or more.

As with cars, ultralights vary in features and application. New ultralights these days cost $12,000 and up (sky is the limit in most cases). The average cost of a new ultralight is $20,000 including engine and accessories.

As in any case it is best to take along a knowledgable person with you BEFORE you purchase ANY used ultralight. Safety is in your hands since ultralights DO NOT require inspections.
To get an idea of current prices for used ultralights please see our classifieds section on our website. UPAC members also get our monthly publication Light Flight with even more classified ads.

All ultralights in Canada must have a least 3rd-party liability insurance. In most cases insurance for ultralights is not excessively expensive unless hull (collision) insurance is purchased. But you should investigate this option if you desire it. Ultralight school insurance is also available from various brokers. However read the policy carefully as most will not offer student insurance.

Aircraft Ultralight Pilots Can Fly

In January 1997, the Ultralight Aeroplane Transition Strategy introduced a new definition of ultralight aeroplane based on a maximum take-off weight of 1200 lbs., a maximum stall speed in the landing configuration of 45 mph, and minimum useful load calculation based on the engine horsepower. This definition allows heavier airframes with larger engines to qualify as ultralights. (Remember, even though the ultralight category allows a 1200 lbs. gross weight, the manufacturer’s gross weight may not be exceeded!) This definition allows the advanced ultralight aeroplane to be included within the ultralight category rather than existing as an exemption to it.

The Transition Strategy also allows the holder of a Pilot Permit-Ultralight Aeroplane to fly any aircraft that meets the ultralight definition regardless of how the aircraft is registered. This includes amateur-built and certified aircraft as well as basic and advanced ultralights.

The category in which an airplane is registered determines the building, inspection, maintenance, operation, and paperwork requirements as well as the permitted uses. You should determine which category best fits your flying objectives before you buy or build an aircraft. Once that determination is made, you must follow the requirements for that category. For a quick determination of the eligibility of an amateur-built or certified aircraft that is already flying, check the Certificate of Airworthiness. If the maximum take-off weight is 1200 lb. or less, it may be flown with an ultralight permit provided the stall speed is 45mph or less.

Basic Ultralight Aeroplanes

The basic ultralight aeroplane is the traditional single or two place ultralight that was defined by wing loading, wing area, and launch weight. The basic ultralight is now allowed to be heavier, but there are still no government regulations that require inspections or adherence to any construction or build standards. There are also no regulated maintenance requirements. However, the practical requirements of common sense and self-preservation dictate good construction practices and materials, as well as constant maintenance! The available accident statistics show that these practical requirements are generally working well; the safety record is on a par with general aviation. There is an economic reality; the initial cost and ongoing expenses of any ultralight aeroplane represent a sizeable investment. You don?t want to write off the aircraft? or yourself!

These ultralights are not required to have instruments. However, engine instruments and flight instruments (airspeed indicator, altimeter, compass) are a good idea. Since instruments are not required, basic ultralights are restricted from controlled airspace, except control zones with prior approval.

The only commercial use allowed for basic ultralights is ultralight flight training. Two pilots may fly together, but currently the aircraft is not approved for passengers. (An approval process to allow basic ultralights to be approved for passenger carrying should be on the CARAC agenda in the near future.) Occupants are required to wear helmets; the registration letters start with C-I.

Advanced Ultralight Aeroplanes

In 1991, Transport Canada published The Design Standards for Advanced Ultralight Aeroplanes (TP10141). To qualify as an Advanced Ultralight Aeroplane (AULA), the aircraft must meet requirements in the areas of flight, structure, design and construction, equipment, and operations. The design standards allow a maximum take-off weight of 1058.2 lbs. plus an additional 154.4 lbs. for floats, and a maximum stall speed of 45 mph. The manufacturer constructs a prototype and conducts flight tests to ensure that the aircraft meets the standards. He then submits a Document of Conformity (DOC) to Transport Canada stating that fact. Transport Canada does not inspect or flight test the aeroplane, nor do they ensure compliance with the design standards. The manufacturer’s declaration is all that is required.

When the manufacturer sells either a completed aircraft or a kit, the builder/owner is not allowed to make any changes unless the manufacturer approves them; this ensures that after the builder assembles the aircraft, it still meets the design standards. (For example, if you want to add floats, you must find out which floats the manufacturer approves.) You are normally not allowed to build an advanced ultralight from drawings because the manufacturer has no control over the finished aircraft.

When the original builder/owner registers the aircraft, he is required to send a Statement of Conformity (SOC) to Transport Canada, issued by the manufacturer, which states that this particular aircraft conforms to the original design. When the advanced ulitraght is sold, each subsequent owner must provide a Fit For Flight Form (FFFF) in which he assures Transport Canada that the aircraft has not been altered and that it still meets the standards.

Transport Canada has compiled a list of ultralight aeroplanes that are eligible to be registered as AULA. If an ultralight aircraft type is on this list, it may be registered as an Advanced Ultralight. This has to be done at the time of initial registration and the words “advanced ultralight” will be on the Certificate of Registration. If those words are missing, the aircraft is not an AULA; it is a basic ultralight. If the paper trail of conformity from the manufacturer to the current owner is not in place, the aircraft has to be registered as a basic ultralight. Check with the manufacturer and with Transport Canada for more information.

Because Transport Canada has assurances from the manufacturer and each owner that the AULA meets the design standards, it is approved to carry a passenger (if you have an PPR or higher license). As long as the aircraft owner complies with the requirements of the manufacturer, the aircraft can be operated as an AULA.

Advanced ultralights can be used for ultralight flight training. The requirement for the pilot to wear a helmet does not apply, and if the AULA meets the Day VFR Equipment requirements (CARs 605.14), it is allowed access to controlled airspace. The letters of an AULA registered before January 1997 start with C-F or C-G, after January 1997, they start with C-I.

If unauthorized changes are made to the AULA, or if the manufacturer?s maintenance or repair requirements are not met, the AULA reverts to the operational limits of the basic ultralight aeroplane, that is, the approval to carry passengers and operate in controlled airspace is lost.

Amateur-built Aeroplanes

An aeroplane that fits the ultralight category can, in most cases, also qualify as an amateur-built aircraft. The material, construction, and building requirements for the Amateur-Built category apply. The builder must construct and assemble the majority of the aircraft (the 51% rule). There are at least two inspections; a pre-cover inspection is done before the airframe and wings are covered, and a final inspection when the aircraft is ready to fly. If you are purchasing an amateur-built and want to fly it with an ultralight permit, make sure it meets the ultralight definition. Check with the Recreational Aircraft Association of Canada or Transport Canada for information on the requirements for this category.

Amateur-built aircraft may not be used for commercial purposes. The owner may use his amateur built aircraft for his own flight training. An amateur built aircraft that meets the ultralight definition can be used for anything that an ultralight aircraft is used for, including flight training for the PP-UL. This means that it can be used as an ultralight trainer by an ultralight flight school. To avoid confusion because of the registration (it will not be C-I), make a note in the pilot’s logbook that the aircraft meets the ultralight definition and is being used as an ultralight aeroplane.

Amateur-built aircraft are approved for passenger carrying; the occupants are not required to wear helmets; the aircraft is required to meet the Day VFR Equipment requirements. Amateur-built aircraft are subject to the requirements to carry an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT), an emergency first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher. Annual Airworthiness Reports must be filed with Transport Canada and journey and maintenance logbooks are required. Amateur-built aircraft have registration letters starting with C-F or C-G.

Certified Aircraft

The type certified aeroplane is built and fully assembled by the manufacturer. To obtain a type certificate, the manufacturer must prove that the aircraft meets the design and performance standards; the manufacturing process is also certified. To maintain the type certificate, an Airworthiness Maintenance Engineer (AME) must do all maintenance. Journey and technical logbooks are required and an Annual Airworthiness Report must be filed with Transport Canada. The aircraft must meet the Day VFR Equipment requirements and is allowed into controlled airspace. The aircraft must be equipped with an ELT, a first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher.

This aircraft is approved for commercial use and for passenger carrying. Type certified aircraft are used for conventional flight training. Type certified aircraft that meet the ultralight definition can be used for anything that ultralight aircraft are used for, including flight training for the PP-UL. They can be used as an ultralight trainer by an ultralight flight school. To avoid confusion because the registration letters will not start with C-I, make a note in the pilot’s logbook that the aircraft meets the ultralight definition and is being used as an ultralight aeroplane. There are only a few certified aircraft that meet the ultralight definition; most are too heavy or stall too fast. Check the Certificate of Airworthiness for the maximum take off weight and the pilot operating handbook for the stall speeds and useful load.

Helicopters and Rotary-wing

Helicopters and rotary-wing aircraft (gyro copters) are NOT ultralights in Canada and cannot be flown or registered as such. A helicopter’s pilot permit or a special rotary-wing permit is required to fly in Canada.


Decide what you want kind of flying you want to do before you choose an aircraft category. If you want to carry a passenger and have a pilot document that allows this, or if you want access to controlled airspace, choose an AULA, an amateur-built, or a certified aircraft. If you want to fly for fun, either alone or with another pilot, a basic ultralight may be the most cost-effective route.

The above discussion is a summary of the differences among the aircraft categories. For detailed information on each category, check with Transport Canada. Further information is also available in The UPAC Ultralight Information Manual. Whatever aircraft you choose, fly safely and enjoy!

Note: When the proposed Special C of A ? Owner Maintained category is in place, ultralight pilots will be able to fly aircraft in this category that meet the ultralight. The maintenance and operation requirements will parallel the amateur-built rules.

Canadian General Aviation Aircraft Classifications

Current as of October, 1996

With the new Canadian Aviation Regulations and the Ultralight and Advanced Ultralight Interim Strategy, ultralights are divided into two classes, Basic and Advanced. Ultralights had been defined by launch weight and wing loading. The Interim Strategy adds another definition of ultralight based on gross weight and stall speed.

Basic Ultralights
Ultralight – Single Place

  • Call Letters – C-Ixxx
  • Weight Limits – 165 kg (363 lbs) launch weight (includes the weight of fuel and oil but not pilot)
  • Government Standard – weight and wing loading limits
  • Construction By – owner
  • Aircraft Modifications – owner permitted to make modifications
  • Maintenance – as needed, by owner
  • Minimum Pilot Permit/License – Pilot Permit – Ultralight Aeroplane

Ultralight – two place

  • Call Letters – C-Ixxx
  • Weight Limits – 195 kg (429 lbs) launch weight (includes weight of full fuel and oil but not occupants)
  • Government Standard – weight and wing loading limits
  • Construction By – owner
  • Aircraft Modifications – owner permitted to make modifications
  • Maintenance – as needed, by owner
  • Minimum Pilot Permit/License – Pilot Permit – Ultralight Aeroplane.
  • Passenger Carrying – not permitted. Two pilots may fly together in an ultralight.

Ultralight – single or two place

  • Call Letters – C-Ixxx
  • Weight Limits – 544 kg (1200 lbs) maximum takeoff weight
  • Government Standard – weight and stall speed plus a useful load limit. (See the AULA Strategy on Transport Canada’s Recreational Aviation web page.)
  • Construction By – owner
  • Aircraft Modifications – owner permitted to make modifications
  • Maintenance – as needed, by owner
  • Minimum Pilot Permit/License – Pilot Permit – Ultralight Aeroplane
  • Passenger Carrying – not permitted. Two pilots may fly together in an ultralight

Advanced Ultralight

With the introduction of the new Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), this class of ultralight will be a class of the “I” registered Ultralight category.

  • Call Letters – C-Ixxx (It is proposed that older registered AULAs will keep the C-Fxxx or C-Gxxx registration until it is re-registered by a new owner.)
  • Weight Limits – 480 kg (1058 lbs) gross weight plus float allowance
  • Government Standard – TP10141
  • Construction By – Manufacturer, or by owner from manufacturer’s kit
  • Aircraft Modifications – with pre-approval of manufacturer only
  • Maintenance – by owner, who must follow manufacturer’s maintenance schedule
  • Minimum Pilot’s Permit/License – Pilot Permit – Ultralight Aeroplane
  • Passenger Carrying – Permitted only if pilot holds a Recreational Pilot Permit or higher licence. Two pilots may fly together in an advanced ultralight.

Amateur-Built(also called home built or experimental)

  • Call Letters – C-Fxxx or C-Gxxx
  • Weight Limits – 4000 lbs gross weight
  • Government Standard – T51-13-549E
  • Construction By – owner (aircraft must by at least 51% built by owner, and have 2 inspections before flight)
  • Aircraft Modifications – owner permitted to make modifications
  • Maintenance – by owner, entered in an aircraft log book, annual activity report submitted to Transport Canada.
  • Minimum Pilot Permit/License – Recreational Pilot Permit. However, if the aircraft meets the new definition of ultralight, it can be flown by an ultralight pilot, but not with a passenger.
  • Passenger Carrying – Permitted with Recreational Pilot Permit or higher license.


  • Call Letters – C-Fxxx or C-Gxxx
  • Weight Limits – no limit
  • Government Standard – Type Certificate
  • Construction By – Manufacturer
  • Aircraft Modifications – STC approved only, by Transport Canada Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME).
  • Maintenance – AME. Annual inspection and current Certificate of Airworthiness required
  • Minimum Pilot Permit/License – Recreational Pilot Permit. However, if the aircraft meets the new definition of ultralight, it can be flown by an ultralight pilot, but not with a passenger.
  • Passenger Carrying – Permitted with a Recreatinal Pilot Permit or higher license.

Because Canadian ultralights carry no flight authority document, such as a Certificate of Airworthiness, and ultralight rules are quite different between nations, flying across borders in an ultralight requires special permission. Since July 3, 2000 all the pilot of a Canadian basic or advanced ultralight has to do to fly to the U.S. is complete a Special Flight Authorization form and carry it with him/her in the U.S. The authorization is good for 180 days.

The pilot must also hold a Pilot Permit � Recreational Aeroplanes or higher licence or a Pilot Permit � Ultralight Aeroplanes with a flight instructor endorsement and two hours cross-country experience.

US Regulation requirements

The Canadian Aviation Regulations require an ultra-light aeroplane to be registered by the government before being flown. If you’ve purchased a new, ready-to-fly ultra-light or if you’ve recently finished construction, you must apply for registration marks. As of January 1997, all ultra-light aeroplanes, including advanced ultra-light aeroplanes will be issued a C-Ixxx registration mark. If you’ve purchased a previously registered ultra-light, it should already have registration marks. A previously registered advanced ultra-light may have C-Fxxx or C-Gxxx registration marks and you can retain these marks – you do not have to change them to a C-Ixxx registration mark.

You may operate a previously registered ultra-light for up to 90 days after the sale of the aeroplane by activating the interim certificate of registration. The interim is valid for up to 90 days from the date of the first transfer of custody and control. More complete instructions on the interim certificate of registration are included with the certificate of registration.

If you are the seller, there is a form to notify Transport Canada that you are no longer the owner of the aircraft. The seller should notify Transport Canada that the aircraft has been sold. The buyer is responsible for changing the ownership and re-registering the aircraft in his name.

The Ultra-light Aeroplane Transition Strategy was implemented in January 1997. It identifies two types of ultra-light aeroplanes, Basic and Advanced. For Basic ultra-light aeroplanes an additional definition is included based on maximum take-off or gross weight. The Basic ultra-light can now be defined as having a maximum take-off weight of 1200 lb. or less and a stall speed of 45 mph or less. There is also a minimum useful load requirement.

The process for initially registering the advanced ultra-light aeroplane has not changed; the manufacturer has to conform to the Design Standards of TP10141 and the builder has to sign a Statement of Conformity. There is a change, however, when re-registering the aircraft to a new owner. A Fit for Flight Form must be submitted with the application for registration.

UPAC has received many inquiries about the process to register an ultra-light aeroplane using the new definition of Basic ultra-light. To answer some of your questions, I have put together the following information with help from Transport Canada.

To register a Basic ultra-light aeroplane using the 1200 lb. gross weight definition, you will need the following:

1. Proof of ownership – If you bought the aircraft, either complete or as a kit, you will need a bill of sale. If you built the aircraft from scratch, a letter to that effect must be included. If the ultra-light was previously registered, you will need a bill of sale from the last registered owner and from any owners in between. There must be a paper trail from the last registered owner to you. If there were partners involved, you will need the signatures of all of them.

2. Application form number 26-0521 (97-06) – You will need the manufacturer, model, serial number and registration marks, if you have them already, for the aircraft. You will also need to know the maximum take-off weight (or gross weight), the stall speed, empty weight and horsepower of the engine. Transport Canada has revised the ultra-light application form to include empty weight and engine horsepower rating. If you are using an older version of the application form, the engine horsepower rating and the empty weight should be entered in the box titled “Category of Engine”. If possible, get the form ahead of time. An application can be faxed to you if you call the Transport Canada Regional Office and ask for it. If you can not get the form ahead of time, it may be a good idea to call and make sure you have all the information with you when you go to apply.

3. Aircraft identification plate information – Every aircraft is required to carry a fireproof identification plate the “ID plate” or “data plate”. The ID plate information includes the name of the manufacturer (if a corporation, their legal name), the aircraft model and serial number and any type approval designation. An imprint or photograph of the ID plate or a copy of the information on it must be included with the application. While this is only required with the initial application for registration, it is a good idea to have the ID plate information available when you re-register the aircraft. The information on the ID plate must match the information on the application.

4. Minimum useful load calculations – Part of the new 1200 lb. definition is a requirement for the ultra-light to have a minimum useful load. This is done in three steps. First calculate the minimum load allowed. Second, calculate the actual useful load for your aircraft. Third, compare the two; the actual useful load must be higher than the minimum that was calculated.

For 2 place, the minimum useful load = 350 + half of the engine horsepower rating

For single place, the formula is = 175 + half of the engine horsepower rating

For example, a two place ultra-light aeroplane has an empty weight of 400 lb., a gross weight of 1000 lb. and is powered by a 65 hp engine.

  1. Calculate the minimum useful load allowed using the formula:

350 + one half of 65 = min. useful load

350 + 32.5 = 382.5

382.5 is the number in pounds of the minimum allowable useful load.

  • Calculate the actual useful load of your aircraft. Subtract the empty weight of the aircraft from the gross weight to get the actual useful load.

Ultralight Flight Training Unit Requirements

Notify Transport of your intention to offer in flight and ground training. Submit a letter which includes the following:

  • statement of intent to conduct flight training for private and/or Flight Instructor Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane.
  • the name of the proposed school and the names of the holders of the valid Flight Instructor Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane who will be providing the training. Include their license numbers.
  • your intent to adopt Transports’s approved syllabus for private and/or commercial air and/or ground training, OR send in your training syllabus developed from Part II of the Flight Instructor’s Guide as applicable to the type of UL aeroplane being used.
  • a description of the type of ultrallght aeroplane to be used for training purposes.
  • the name and location of the aerodrome
  • a phone number where you can be reached during business hours

As well, a pre-solo exam has to written and approved by Transport. The suggested pass is 80%. Some question from the Ultralight and Hang Gliding Information Manual should be included as well as questions on to following subjects:

  1. Air regulations, air navigation orders, and air traffic rules and procedures.
  2. NOTAMs, and AICs
  3. Basic aerodynamics applicable to the type of ultralight aircraft used for training
  4. Stall recognition and recovery procedures.
  5. Other emergency procedures.
  6. Illusions created by drift
  7. Wake turbulence
  8. Medical aspects of flight (use of drugs, fatigue, etc.)
  9. Weight and balance computations and considerations
  10. Meteorology applicable to ultralight flying
  11. Pilot decision making

The local office should have an information package with the above information as well any specific processes or procedures necessary.

The way the current regulations are written, the pre-solo exam has to be administered by a Flight Instructor Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane. Flight training however can be done by the Flight Instructor Rating – Ultra-light Aeroplane  and/or a Class 4 Instructor.

The ground school instructor(s) must be familiar with the material in the course. There must be a classroom available for the ground school. Some ground school instructors offer their course at the local community college.

Since the CARs have been introduced, there is the requirement to have a letter from Transport Canada allowing operation of the flight school. Because we do not use certified aircraft we do not need AMEs and AMOs. Ultralights presently do not require journey or technical log books although it is a good idea.

If you want to be able to issue the Student Pilot Permit on site, you must become an “Authorized Person.” To do this, contact the nearest Transport Canada office and find out when you may take the course. The course teaches you how to properly fill in the forms and collect the paperwork. It is not necessary but becoming an Authorized Person will be a convenience that allows you to certify true copies, collect documentation, and issue the Student Permit.

To Legally Fly an Ultralight Aeroplane in Canada

If you are presently unlicensed you must get a Pilot Permit – Ultralight Aeroplne. The requirements are:

? be at least 16 yrs of age (14 for a student permit)
? have a Class 4 medical – declared
? take a Transport Canada approved ground school
? take a Transport Canada written test, ULTRA (Air Regulations, Procedures, etc.)

? have a total of 10 hours flying time, including not less than 5 hours dual instruction and 2 hours solo flying
? flight time to include 30 takeoffs, circuits, and landings, 10 as sole occupant of the plane.

If you already have a Private Pilot License Aeroplane (PPL-A) or a Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP), you may fly an ultralight as a priviledge of that license. A checkout is strongly recommended.

The ultralight pilot permit is a separate permit. You may hold it along with aa higher licence. The credits for the RPP holder towards the Ultralight Permit are not available at this time.

If you have had a PPL-A within the last 5 years and want an Ultralight Permit, the requirements are:

? have a Class 4 Medical
? take a Transport Canada approved ground school
? take the Transport Canada test ULTRA (Air Regulations, Procedures, etc.)
? flying time is reduced to 5 hours total including 2 hours dual, 2 hours solo
? flight time to include 20 takeoffs, circuits, landings, 10 as sole occupant of the plane

If you currently hold a pilot’s license in any other category of aircraft and want an Ultralight Permit, the above requirement for the TC test ULTRA is deleted. If you curently hold a PPL-A, the requirement for the ground school is also deleted.

The flight times above must be completed within the 24 months preceding the filing of the license application.

The Flight Instructor Rating – Ultralight Aeroplane allows the holder to train ultralight pilots and ultralight instrucors. The requirements are:

? be at least 18 years of age.
? have an unrestricted Class 3 Medical or higher
? take a Transport Canada approved ground school (from an ultralight flight instructor)
? take the Transport Canada written test, ULTRA
? take a Transport Canada approved course of instructional techniques developed from Part 1 of the Flight Instructor Guide
? take the Transport Canada written test on instructional techniques, FITEN
? flight time includes a minimum of 50 hours on Ultralight aeroplanes, including not less than 5 hours dual instruction, 5 hours dual flight time on insturctional techniques, and 25 hours solo.

If you currently hold a PPL-A or higher, the flight time is reduced from 50 hours on Ultralight Aeroplanes to 25. If you currently hold or have a held a Flight Instructors rating you are exempted from the ground school and FITEN test. Credits for the RPP holder are not available at this time.

The answer is “depends”. Transport Canada will only recognize a private pilot license from other countries so unless you have this type of permit you cannot fly in Canada with a foreign ultralight permit. You might be able to take the Transport ULTRA exam and get an instructor to do some dual to sign you off but unless you plan on visiting for a while it might not be worth your time. As for renting, it is rare to find someone to rent you an ultralight. Your best bet would be to contact a flight training unit (FTU) from our list and see if they rent aircraft.

Help us help you! The more support we get from the ultralight community, the more effective we can be.


Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top